Te Whare Taonga o Kororareka

Many Owners, Many Faces – #149

Many Owners, Many Faces – #149

Continuing our series of before and after views of Russell, here’s a house that has had many incarnations. It was built in 1869-70, by JL Mandeno, for James White, US Commercial/Consular Agent, and known locally and wrongly, as the American Consul’s house. A consul is an official appointed by the government of one country to look after its commercial interests and the welfare of its citizens in another country – that wasn’t White’s role. He sold his house in 1888. It and the land have had many owners and many occupations since – store, hotel, school, church, motor camp, golf course, race course, farmhouse and family home – now it serves as boutique travellers’ accommodation. Photos clockwise from left: 7302 c. 1950s; 11501 c. 1960s; IMG_1233, 2013. Source.dictionary.reference.com