Te Whare Taonga o Kororareka

Taonga

Tourist Ware

Posted by on May 9, 2015 in Taonga | 0 comments

Russell has been a tourist destination for more than a hundred years. The museum has a range of souvenir china including plates, cups, vases, milk jugs. This shaving mug which is of white china with gold trim has a black and white transfer showing Russell looking south from Maiki Hill. The Methodist Church built in 1913 has its belfry (which was removed in 1932 because it was too heavy). The wharf has two sheds which were replaced by one big one when the wharf was rebuilt in 1927. So we can...

Read More

Shark!

Posted by on May 9, 2015 in Taonga | 0 comments

A Great White shark jaw hangs on the wall in the ship wing at the Russell Museum. It comes from a shark caught near the Whangamumu whaling station in the 1927-8 season. The fish was cruising just off shore hoping for some tasty titbits sluiced from the slipway. Some of the station hands pushed off to interview him and he was harpooned. He measured 20 feet 9 inches and weighed half a ton according to Captain Bert Cook, head of the Whangamumu whaling operation, who gifted the jaw to the museum....

Read More

Ether Mask

Posted by on May 9, 2015 in Taonga | 0 comments

This Ether mask is made of brass with decorative engraving and a nose covering of soft padded leather. Inside the round mesh covered part is a piece of sponge that held the ether when it was dropped through the funnel above. The round hole by the butterfly nut was covered and uncovered by thumb or finger to regulate the inhaling of air. Chloroform was discovered in 1831 and first used in 1847. Queen Victoria was given it for the births of her younger children in the 1850s. This mask belonged...

Read More

Patu Paraoa / Whalebone Club

Posted by on May 9, 2015 in Taonga | 0 comments

Patu or mere were made in stone, greenstone or as in this case whalebone. This one was possibly made by William Cook, an English sailor who came ashore and married Tiraha, a relative of the chiefs Tamati Waka Nene and Patuone. Their children and grand children were involved in deep sea and shore based whaling. The family represents one of the many bicultural families common in the Bay from the early 19th century. A family reunion was held at Labour Weekend 2006 at Waikare Marae at which over...

Read More

China Dogs

Posted by on May 9, 2015 in Taonga | 0 comments

These Staffordshire china dogs are bold and colourful, even if they look crudely finished. They belonged to Benjamin Wood, originally from Ireland who arrived in the Bay of Islands with his family on the Westminster 17 March 1840 to be Chief Constable. He had 6 policemen and members of the 99th Regiment to help him establish law and order. After the evacuation of the town in 1845 he went to Auckland but returned the following year staying until 1853. He moved back to Auckland to be court...

Read More

Raupo Cape

Posted by on May 9, 2015 in Taonga | 0 comments

Not all the treasures in the Russell Museum are historic. This beautiful rain cape was made in 2000 by Nikki Lawrence, a Far North weaver. It is a metre wide, .75 metre deep with plaited ties and made of Raupo (bullrush). Rain capes were one of the earliest types of cape, made for protection from the elements. They are relatively quick to produce as contrasted with fine korowai cloaks. Usually made of Harakeke, Ti or Kiekie, they were weather proof and durable....

Read More