About us

The Russell Centennial Trust Board was established to mark the 1940 Centennial of the Treaty of Waitangi. The Trust raised funds and on donated land erected a building to house a public library, town board office, women’s rest room and Plunket room and later a Museum.

Today, reflecting different needs, the building houses the Russell Museum and a community library. The organisation is community focused. Te Whare Taonga o Kororareka | Russell Museum aims to reflect the history of the town and to support historic preservation. The museum’s collection is important in promoting New Zealand culture because Russell – then named Kororareka – lay at the threshold of the earliest connection between the two worlds of Maori and Pakeha. The collection dates from before then and is always being added to.

Read our latest news here