Te Whare Taonga o Kororareka

Posts made in March, 2015

The History of Whaling – A talk by Lindsay Alexander

Posted by on Mar 9, 2015 in Exhibitions |

Local author and researcher Lindsay Alexander presents a talk which draws on his research into the history of whaling in the Bay of Islands and the South Pacific. This is also your chance to hear about his upcoming book and to view or purchase the two he has already published: “Whaleship Arrivals at the Bay of Islands New Zealand 1841-1894” and “Whaleship Arrivals at Mangonui, Whangaroa, Auckland and other Northern New Zealand Ports”....

Read More

Fullers Launch Office 1965

Posted by on Mar 9, 2015 in Heritage | 0 comments

Russell Lights – Vol 7 Issue 21 – Oct 2004 This view of the Strand and Cass Street’s northern corner shows the modest office of A.E. Fuller and Sons Ltd beside the Marlin Tearooms (originally Ernest Ford’s and later Baker Bros shops), the Duke of Marlborough Hotel and the Police Station. Alfred Ernest Fuller and his wife Maud Amy (nee Baker) began a small maritime cartage business, later expanding to excursion and gamefishing launches and car ferries. By 1965 under...

Read More

Early Tapeka

Posted by on Mar 9, 2015 in Heritage | 0 comments

Russell Lights – Vol 7 Issue 19 – Sept 2004 This frail and damaged photo shows Tapeka in the early 1900s, when the land was farmed. To the right are the Norfolk Island pines planted by Samuel Stephenson in the 1830s, which still survive on the reserve. Near the trees stands the small shingled roof cottage owned by Samuel Stephenson with a wing each side to cope with a growing family and a lean to at the back. It later became Mrs Woolley’s Girls School in the 1860s and later...

Read More