Te Whare Taonga o Kororareka

Posts made in July, 2007

Russell’s Crane

Posted by on Jul 27, 2007 in Taonga | 0 comments

Russell Lights - Vol 10 Issue 15 - July 2007 Samuel Stephenson merchant trader of Russell imported an iron crane from England to unload coastal shipping at his premises just north of the present Russell Police Station. It was mounted on a small jetty that had wooden rails and wagons leading into his warehouse. In 1880 it was purchased by the Government and put on a new wharf on the present site at the end of Cass Street and used to unload larger shipping. Later in the 1920s a piece was welded...

Read More